Thursday, March 05, 2009

Another week in Belize

Another working week has passed with no major happenings. I am starting to settle in well to this laid back pace. My day starts early here, any time from 6 - 6.45am (depending on how lazy i feel and if I go for a run) and I so an honest working day of 8am-4pm. No cure/breakthroughs or Noble prizes yet but I'm sure that is just a matter of time!! Yea right...

Last week I met a great canadian couple in their mid fifties - some of the coolest people I have ever met travelling. After a few late (work nights I must add) evenings drinking the local brew with these guys I decided to follow them up the coast to a small fishing village and stay in the highly regarded (Lonely Planet Belize) Backpackers Paradise. When I think of Backpacker joints I think of late nights, beer and Bob Marley music but none of this was to be found here (the odd trace of a reggae beat occasionally though). The place is run by a young French-Swiss couple and basically they're trying to develop a sustainable, organic lodge with cheap prices and they're doing pretty well with it. On a down side (many would think it a plus) it was very quiet, just myself and my new canadian friends. However, it was a very welcoming place and excellent food and my own private Cabana for BZE$22, about €8.

For the Saturday daytime we organised a full day trip to Shipstern Nature Reserve. I think this was one of the first nature reserves set up in Belize and it is basically set around a huge lagoon. It was mainly a bird-watching day, something which I am slowly getting into (interest started in Tanzania this year). The highlight of the day was my first sighting of a toucan (made famous by Guinness many years ago). Myself and Emma spent a summer in this part of the world and never got to see one, so obviously I was very pleased with myself. Below are a few pics from the trip.

So coming to the end of another week, it means planning my weekend trip. This weekend I am going to go to Caye Caulker, a small island off the coast (I am nearly sure I have a posting from the last time I was there 3 years ago). It's a holiday weekend here so that;s perfect for me, an extra day on the beach. I'm sure I will have a few pics from this trip for next week...



1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan Sherlock said...

Interesting - makes me want to travel (says he in Cyprus). I didn't get the UV filter for the camera before I left but up until now there was no need - not much sun!

7:17 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home